What Kind of ENEMY Do God's People Have?
- No Honor for the Honorable, 2:21-3:1.
- Undeserved Honor, 3:1-4.
- A Dishonorable Bribe, 3:5-11.
- Will God Honor His Promises? 3:11-15.
- One possible explanation for why Mordecai did not bow was the centuries of tension between the Jews and the Amalekites/Agagites (See Ex 17:8-16; 1 Sam 9: 1-2 and 15: 1-3, 8; compare to Esther 2:5 and 3:1.) Is it possible that racial/ethnic tension was a sin the God’s OldTestament people struggled with? (Consider Jonah, especially Jonah 4:1-4) Does that surprise you or not?
- Would you feel guilty asking God to honor His promises? Consider Daniel 9:17-19; what is thebasis of Daniel’s prayer? Why is he asking God to deliver them? Discuss all the times he mentions “you” or “your people” or “your name.”
- Is it ever hard for you to believe that God can work your circumstances together for good (cf. Rom 8:28)? Does it ever seem like the deck is stacked against you? Consider what James 4:13-15 and Prov 16:9 say about our circumstances and our plans.