Jesus, son of David, of Abraham, of Adam, of God
Questions to ask of the text:
- Why is this Genealogy included?
- Why is it included in this specific part of Luke's Gospel?
- What are Luke's unique purposes including it (i.e. how is it different than Matthew's list and purposes)?
Conclusion: Luke's main point is to show his audience that Jesus is both the son of Mary and Joseph AND the son of God. He is both God and Man.
Discussion Questions & Further Study
- What are some other parts of the Bible that are hard for you to get through when reading?
- How can slowing down and asking questions of hard texts help you find meaning from them?
- Why was it important that Jesus was born in the lineage of David? Why was it also important that Jesus not be born of "ordinary generation"?
- Why is it important that Jesus was fully Divine? Why was it also important that Jesus was fully Human?
- Read 1 Corinthians 15:21–22. How does being born of Adam bring death? How does being "in" Christ bring life?
- Do any of these questions mean anything (or matter) to you? (Read Hebrews Chapter 2 for help)