After Darkness, Light
5 Blessings that the birth of John the Baptist brings to God’s people. It is:
- A sign of God’s salvation, vv. 67–71
- A confirmation of God’s covenant, vv. 72–73
- A freedom to worship God fearlessly, vv. 73–75
- A prophet to prepare the Lord’s way, vv. 76–78
- A lesser light pointing to the Greatest Light, vv. 78–80
- What did first–century Israel most want to be delivered from? What do you most want deliverance from? What do you think God most wants to deliver you from?
- Why did God deliver His people? (See Lk. 1:74–75) Also read Psalm 67 and compare this passage to the first line of our church’s mission statement (see the front of your bulletin).
- Why does God use poetry to teach truth to us? Why doesn’t he just tell us the facts in a more straightforward way? (Try summarizing vv. .78–79 without poetry and see which version is more memorable. Try the same thing with Psalm 23:1 and 2 Samuel 23:1–5.)