What do fasting, patches, and wineskins have to do with Jesus?
3 Lessons from Jesus
- The old is gone, the new has come, and it’s time to party, vv. 33–35
- The old is incompatible with the new, vv. 36–38
- If you like the old, you may never even consider the new, v. 39
- If you fast, how should you fast? How should you pray? See Matthew 6:1–8, 16–18.
- Read Philippians 3:2–10. How would Paul have described the old way and the new way? Which one did he prefer (cf. Luke 5:39)? Name some good things you do which you might mistakenly think make you less needy of God’s grace.
- Why should we be grateful that Christ is our Bridegroom? Is that image only supposed to bring positive and happy memories to our minds? What kind of Bride are the people of God? (Consider Hosea 1:2 and Revelation 19:6–9a.)