The Lord of the Sabbath
- What necessities are lawful on the Sabbath? vv. 1–5
- What Lord can restore and purify Sabbath laws? v.5
- What mercies are lawful on the Sabbath? vv. 6–10
- What will we do with this Lord of the Sabbath? v. 11
- Isn’t it a good thing that we aren’t like the Pharisees? See what God says about that idea in Luke 18:9–14 and 1 Cor. 10:12.
- Read Luke 14:1–6. Why does Jesus mention the son and the ox? Read Matthew 12:11–12, as well. Is Jesus upset at what the Pharisees regularly did on the Sabbath (saving an ox, a sheep, a son)? Or is He encouraging them to let others do the same? See Matthew 12:7; what did Jesus want them to do more of?
- Read Isaiah 58:1–8, 13–14 (esp. v.3). What does Jesus want to teach us about fasting and the Sabbath in this passage? Also see Romans 13:8–10.